3.15.2011

Shred it

I haven't exactly wanted to talk about this subject, but I need to get it out there. The reason I always feel so blah...

I've been in a major rut lately. Well... years, really. Aside from being pregnant, I can't remember a time where I was super happy. And why is this? Well, plain and simple, it has always boiled down to my weight. I never feel good about myself because of it. It has always held me back, physically, mentally, and emotionally. So I resorted to being the funny fat girl. I don't want to play that role anymore.

I love food. I think it might be fair to say that I'm addicted to food. Saying that, I feel incredibly... petty? but i really feel it's a problem, as it is with most overweight people. There's something that keeps bringing us back and eating the way that we do. and i've tried dieting time and time again. It'll work for a week, then the weekend comes and i'm like "okay, i can cheat a little bit" then i'm right back where i started. it's a vicious cycle. It's an addiction.

Let's be real here, yes pounds do matter, but overall, i just want to feel good. I want to be able to breathe. Soon my son will be running all over the place and I don't want to be that fat mom that can't keep up. I don't want to be that mom that can't sit on the swings because the chains cut into my thighs. This just isn't who I am supposed to be. I don't recognize myself anymore.

So i need to start somewhere else. and where is that? Exercising. blah, who wants to do that?! Especially when they're lazy and overweight. but, something has to be done. I'm tired of having daily headaches. I'm tired of my back hurting. I'm tired of feeling tapped in my own house, in my own skin. I'm tired of being lazy. I'm tired of being tired. And this is something I can control. Something that is within my power to change. So just do it!

Here's what I've been reading a lot about lately

I've never tried a workout video. ever. i always thought they were really cheesy. and a waste of money. But this one looks different. This one seems different. I used to watch The Biggest Loser, and Jillian Michaels is one tough cookie. She's super intimidating. And I really feel like she could motivate me... assuming i get up every morning and push play.

The reviews I've read, there's not much weight loss. But lot's of inches lost! And fast results! For me, that's what I need. I need to see/feel an instant change or I just give up. I feel like it's not working if I don't instantly drop weight, which is silly. But I'm one of those instant gratification types, need to work on that.

The reviews boil down to this; it kicks your ass, hard. Which sounds incredibly difficult for me. But it's what I need. I need to be pushed. I need to be motivated. I need to do this! Here are some before and afters
via
So, if there's anyone out there that has tried this (with good, bad, or indifferent results], knows something about it, wants to join in with me, has a better video choice, diets you swear by, or just has some tips and tricks for me, it would all be greatly appreciated!

*(i hope i don't regret posting this, I'm already embarrassed and shaking at the thought of being judged. I just needed an outlet to vent my fatty frustration)

14 comments:

allie said...

i bought this video (my first workout video ever) last month and did it for like, two weeks straight? i don't want to loose any weight but just want to feel fit and toned, and this did just that! it's challenging but each work out is only 20 min, so it's easy to push through! the three different levels concept is awesome too because on days when you just feel unmotivated you can do the first level and it's easier but still gives you a good workout. it's only $9 at target and i was totally seeing/feeling results, awesome! you should go for it!

Alicia Stucky said...

I just started doing this workout - but instead of purchasing it, I view the free 30 minute workouts from it On Demand. It's a tough (but no impossible) workout that leaves you feeling incredible the instant you turn it off. I highly recommend it if you're an instant gratification type.

I've been doing it for five days and have already lost weight without changing anything about my diet (except that I'm drinking water now -- which you will need to do throughout the workout to survive it :-P )

If you do this, I'll keep up with your progress since I'm doing it too and let you know how it's going for me also :-)

Alicia Stucky said...

Also, I just wanted to mention that on as early as the third day I noticed a huge difference in my stamina -- and that was an enourmous confidence booster.

Lucy said...

I can completely relate to you. Post baby weight is a drag, especially when you eat super healthy during the pregnancy. Ugh...it's so frustrating. My daughter is turning two in May and I'd like to lose 10 lbs by then. I did the master cleanse for a week and saw results, bu the moment I stopped I started battling constant sugar cravings. I need to be really cautious of what I put into my body now because once I binge on sugar, it's over.

I wish you the best of luck. Keep us all posted. I'll definitely be following!

MJ {The Honeypie Archives} said...

I haven't tried this, but my fiance's sisters are doing it and they love it!

Good luck :)

LauraS said...

Ahhh!! You rock!! It IS hard putting it out there, I just did it too! You will do awesome. You have to want it before anything else and it sounds like you do! Stick with it, and you will succeed!! Good luck :)

Sue said...

Exercise is a proven way to burn calories and lose weight; if you can keep up with this video, there's no doubt it will make a difference. (I wouldn't be able to do it. A brisk walk is all I can manage, sad to say.)

One thing's for sure. People who exercise regularly start feeling better, which creates greater well-being and increased desire to eat well. It's a good cycle, if you can just get yourself to begin it! (I am trying even as we "speak.")

Sounds like you are ready to make a change, and that's more than half the battle. Good luck!

=)

A Lesson in Happiness

-Beryl Lynn- said...

I understand the feeling, In my early twenties I went from a size 0 to a size 8 in about one year (I attribute it to the heavy drinking and binge eating while living in Chicago). I felt awful, physically and emotionally.
Eventually it got to the point where I was completely sick of it and decided to make a change. You will only lose weight and get healthy if you desire it 100%. If you are still on the fence or don't have enough motivation, you'll end up right back where you are.
There is no miracle pill, miracle dvd, etc. The idea of workout dvds are great, but if you have the tendency to get off track easily, it may not be for you. Two years ago I spent hundreds of dollars on the PX90 Dvd sets and only lasted a few weeks. It's really easy to give up when all you have to do is turn off the tv and say you'll "do it tomorrow".
All you really need is some good old fashioned every day exercise (for at least one hour) and to cut the crap out of your diet. Jogging is a great way to lose the pounds, fast. Why not get a jogging stroller?
Try to think of things you can include Oliver, your boyfriend or friends in, that way it won't seem like such a chore.
As far as dieting goes, if you honestly want to shred the pounds fast.. go 100% raw. Ken & I did it last summer and were losing 1 pound each a day for weeks at a time (until I became pregnant) without any crazy exercising. I seriously have never felt more AMAZING then when I was on that diet. I woke up with a smile every day, felt extremely happy and looked the best I have in over 10 years. I plan to go back on the raw diet when my pregnancy is over.
If you're not up for a raw diet, I suggest cutting out any foods with preservatives, bleached flours, corn syrups, and white sugar. That will also make a dramatic difference.

Whew, I am going to stop there.. but I wish you luck and if you ever need anyone to talk to about losing weight or need suggestions you can talk to me because I have been through it and am a walking example that it doesn't need to be as hard as we like to make it on ourselves :)

Kimbirdy said...

yes! i totally did this and i lost 10 pounds in... about 6 months i think? i didn't do it every day, though, because my muscles were way too soar. i know a lot of people who got injured doing this workout every day, and i'm not sure why she says to do it every day because it's medically proven that your muscles need a day to recover between workouts. so i would go for a long walk up big hills or do the eliptical machines on my non-shred days. it'll really kick your ass! i remember thinking "i hate you jillian michaels, you dirty bitch!" on more than on occasion. :)

what i loved about it though, is that i built muscle while losing fat. so the scale might not read much differently, but your body will look different and you'll feel different. i had a lot more energy and just felt a lot better about myself in general. i hope that helps!

woohoo! you can do it! ra! ra! ra!

Meredith said...

i love almost anything Jillian. no joke. i have her "no more trouble zones" and adore it. adore it! it's hard work but my guns are looking pretty good;) good luck!
YOURS, MINE AND OURS

Toyin O. said...

Sounds like a great program, thanks for sharing:)

Gwiddle said...

Don't be embarrassed!! I too have been the funny fat girl, I am so damn sick of it. I have been on EVERY diet. To be honest the only thing that has worked for me consistantly is going to Weekly Weight Watchers meetings. You don't lose weight quickly, typically 1 to 2 pounds per week. But I have found it is the best plan to teach you to eat right and how to eat to maintain. Weight loss is ALWAYS going to be a problem for us. We are women and we make babies that make us FAT. I haven't even had a baby and I am trying to lose like 30 pounds so that I can get pregnant and not get too fat. But still I probably will end up getting very large. Being a girl sucks ass, am I the only one that eats like 3 times as much when I am on my period? Anyways I have heard a lot about the 30 day shred and have been really interested in trying it. If you do it, let me know how you like it! I have been exercising lately, and I freaking hate it. I hate sweat, I hate being out of breath, I hate having my boobs bouncing everywhere.. Just plain hate it. But I have come to realize that I have to do it, if I want to be thin. BLAH.

L. said...

I know exactly how you feel; I've started going to the gym two days a week (I have a sitter come over and watch Sammy for an hour) and I feel so much better. I might not be losing as much weight as I'd like to, but my energy levels are way up and I'm sleeping better, too. I'm definitely going to have to look into this video--we can be virtual workout buddies!

Alicia Stucky said...

LOL, Kimberly's comment is so true. I seriously was like, "Ef you, lady! This bitch is out of her mind!" a few times during the video.. she wants to you to not stop during it, but I like to take just a couple of seconds to grab a few gulps of water and get back to it when it's getting too tough.

Also, yeah, I would recommend taking a day in between workouts (at least in the beginning) for your muscles to recouperate too. And don't skimp on the warm-up stretches. They're important for this work-out.